Legal Requirements Weddings Australia Easy Steps Top Sydney Celebrant - Nitza

Nitza Lowenstein
Nitza Lowenstein Marriage Celebrant
Go to content

Legal Requirements Weddings Australia Easy Steps Top Sydney Celebrant

Weddings & Fees ►
The legal requirements to marry in Australia
Please note: The Australian law regarding marriages, is simple and straight forward.
Lodgement: the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)
Visit Nitza to lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM), at least one month
prior to the marriage ceremony.
This form remains valid for up to 18 months

Shrotening of Time of the NOIM lodged is possible in special circumstances  (Contact me for details)
You can download the copy of the Notice of Intended Marriage:

If you can’t personally attend an interview to lodge your NOIM, you will be able to mail the signed NOIM to Nitza
The NOIM will be lodged with me, your celebrant, the moment I recieve it by email, (scanned copy) or by mail
If you are in Australia
Witnesses to NOIM can be: JP, Lawyer, Doctor, Police
If you are outside Australia
Witnesses to NOIM can be, An Australian Consular Officer at the Australian Embassy or Consulate in your country
A Notary Public
Provide your Birth Certificates or Passports!
  • Present your Passports or full Birth Certificates & Driver's Licence for photo ID
  • If you do not have a passport or a birth certificate and you were born in Australia, you can apply for one from the Registry of Births.
  • If you were born overseas and you don’t have a birth certificate or a valid overseas passport, you can complete and sign a Statutory  Declaration, in my presence, supported by a passport or Naturalization certificate

If Previously Married
If you have been previously married, you must provide evidence of the termination of the marriage in the form of a Death Certificate, if you have been widowed,
Or an original of your final divorce papers

The Wedding Day
  • Bride & Groom (or the Two Parties to the marriage in "Same Sex" marriage) declare & sign that they are over the age of 18 years, not legally married to someone else.
    At the same time you will check your official marriage certificate and confirm that there are no typo or other mistakes.
    It means that your marriage certificate will always be 100% correct
  • The legal marriage ceremony conducted by myself, an authorized celebrant.
  • During the ceremony the bride and groom exchange legal marriage vows as required by law and wedding rings if desired.
    Please note: It is not compulsory to exchange ring
  • I will ensure that all guests understand that it is a legal ceremony and I will say the Monitum, as required by the law.
    I, being an
    authorized celebrant will say to the parties, in the presence of the witnesses, the words:
    “I am duly authorized by law to solemnize marriages according to law.
    “Before  you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these  witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the  relationship into which you are now about to enter.
    “Marriage,  according to law in Australia, is the union of two people to the  exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”;

    or words to that effect.
  • The Certificate of Marriage is signed by the bride, groom, two witnesses, over the age of 18 years and by myself.
    Please note: Any person over 18 can be a witness.
    The witness can be a total stranger. The witness can be non Australian citizen
  • At the conclusion of the ceremony, the Commonwealth of Australia Certificate of Marriage, prepared by myself, is presented to the couple

After the Marriage
Registration & Your Registry Marriage Certificate
  • Important:
    Please note: I am registered with the NSW Registry office to do e-marriages. (Not all celebrants are registered for e-marriages)
  • It means that I will register your wedding On-line immediately after the marriage, with the NSW Registry Office.
    Nothing can get lost in the mail!
    You can receive the Registry Certificate
  • I can order the NSW official/Registered certificate on your behalf, if you wish.
    You have full control if you order the certificate yourself.
  • The couples can obtain the registered marriage certificate from The NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages at: 35 Regent Street, Chippendale
    It is near the Sydney Central Station, opposite immigration/passport Office.
    137788 or 1300629736
  • In NSW, Marriage Certificates are only available to the bride and groom named on the certificate or their authorized representative.
  • The Marriage Act is a Federal Law and you will be given by your celebrant the Commonwealth of Australia Marriage Certificate!
  • When your marriage is registered in the State where the wedding was officiated, your will receive another official certificate from the State's Registry, after the marriage been registered!  
Back to content